Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Relationships


Here’s a thought:

I was talking to a group of associates this morning to whom I stressed the importance of building strong relationships.  We were talking about business, but it got me thinking of the importance of ALL relationships;  those that you have with clients (past and current), prospects, service providers, and certainly friends and family.  Regardless of the relationship, remember to nourish it, respect it, and tend to it with acts of kindness. 

One of my dear friends lost his mother during the holidays this year and another lost his 4 year old daughter (she battled for her life with several severe medical conditions since birth – of all things, she passed away on her birthday (hard not to type or read that without getting choked up)).  I share this because it’s a BIG reminder of how precious life is and therefore, how important our relationships are – don’t take them for granted!  

On this note, we all lost a fellow Realtor, Dianna Burgess, at the end of this last year (Dec. 28th).  Dianna had sold real estate in Fresno for about the past 15 years and was a wonderful and kind person.  I knew this, but the feeling was punctuated both in her obituary and in the program from her service (which Connie Wilson shared with me), wherein her family shared that it would be Dianna’s wish, and I quote, “In lieu of flowers please honor Dianna’s spirit of caring by doing an act of kindness to others”.   I have carried this thought around with me for nearly 3 weeks now and have tried my best to act on it.  In doing so, you realize that there should never be any quota for such acts.  At first we might have to do them intentionally, but once we form the habit, maybe we can do them as effortlessly as Dianna and those you know who are just as caring. 

Go do a random act of kindness today.  Make someone’s day just a little better.  Do it for a stranger.  Do it for a friend.  Do it for a client.  “Pay it forward,” but never keep score. 

 

What are you waiting for?  Go!

No comments:

Post a Comment